Design & Technology
The Design Technology Department at Arbour Vale school is committed to ensuring pupils have an understanding of good working practices, health and safety and working co -operatly with each other. Pupils have access to a wide range of resources, materials a workshop and Food Technology rooms. This encourages an innovative design approach in a safe working environment. Pupils have the opportunity to gain a broad range of analytical skill and develop their knowledge and understanding of focus practical skills. Independence and everyday life skills are key.
The pupils at Arbour Vale have the ability to understand and appreciate the materials which we use in construction in the classroom and bespoke items made in the workshop. Pupils therefore recognise both manufacturing techniques and mass production. Food technology looks and responds to healthy eating, exercise and planning a heathy diet.
Design Technology has a kinaesthetic and visual approach to leaning life skills and shapes dexterity for many of our pupils. Young designers are able to fulfil their potential through innovation and focused practical tasks, promoting a structured working process, individuality and self-confidence through independence, design and practical skills
Design Technology Aims:
- To develop ways for pupils to generate model making and communicate ideas in a range of ways with materials.
- To develop the planning and shaping of materials, components and ingredients
- To develop pupils’ use of CAD / CAM to design, develop, assemble and produce finished materials, components or products.
- To promote and study the understanding of environmental issues
- To understand Healthy living
- To enable pupils to develop the improvement they could make to their existing design.
The Focus in Design Technology at Arbour Vale is to explore materials and be resourceful with ideas, promoting new innovative design through young people’s eyes.